Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Happy World Diabetes Day...from Thailand



Today we celebrated World Diabetes Day from an international location, Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand. While we didn’t spend the day treating diabetes specifically, I was able to reflect on the diabetic population in Thailand as well as at home. 

We are quickly learning how differently this disease is managed around the world. While it seems Europe and the US are using cutting edge technologies for management, rural Thailand seems to have a different approach. In fact, regular insulin is still used for management. 

Similar to America, type 2 diabetes is the most prevalent type in Thailand. However, I will always have the type 1 population in the forefront of my interests, and closest to my heart. I am so fortunate to celebrate this day from such an exotic location across the world while learning about different approaches to care.

Wishing my colleagues and friends a happy Diabetes Day! I encourage everyone to learn something new about this disease process today!!


1 comment: